Friday, April 19, 2013

This one deserves a party...

...well at least some chocolate. =)
It's finished!
I used the Riley Blake Life in the Jungle line and a grey solid for the background.  The finished quilt measures 46.5 x 53.  Worked out a little different than the pattern but it is a nice big baby blanket.
 
 
I tried a couple of new techniques with this one. New to me anyway. I spray basted it instead of pinning. It was faster than pinning and nice not to worry about them when quilting it. It did seem to take quite a bit of the can, but I might have been spraying it a little heavy.  I really didn't want it to fall apart when I was quilting it. I did have to re-smooth the backing. I picked it up and it was really wrinkled. All in all it worked out pretty good.
I didn't think I would have any starts and stops to worry about hiding since it is all straight line quilting from the top to the bottom.  Of course bobbin thread running out in the middle fixed that for me. I did find the great video made by Leah Day on hiding threads. I did knot mine before hiding them since I hope my quilts will be washed and used a lot.

 
I did have to fix the back. I had a coin stack all sewn up and was going to follow the directions for the backing, but my main fabric wasn't quite big enough and I would have had to turn it sideways. Which makes most of the trees point sideways from the top of the quilt. No one would have noticed but me. It would have driven me nuts knowing it was like that. Yes, I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist.
So, I cut the coin stack in half and put it on either side of the backing. Turned out pretty good.
 
I am linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts finish it up Friday. Check it out!

5 comments:

  1. I love to spray baste. I always find that I have to pull the excess fabric out with my fingernails after basting, especially the under side. Nice finish. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will just have to keep practicing the spray basting. Just means I have to make more quilts. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your finish!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how things turn out like that sometimes - when I saw the pic of the backing before I read your words, the coin stacks on either side were my favourite part. I was thinking 'what a great idea!!!' I am a perfectionist too and agree - trees pointing sideways will not do haha!!!!

    ReplyDelete